Alicia Ham's Reviews > Needful Things

May 04, 09

bookshelves: stephen-king, horror_supernatural
Recommended for: Stephen King fans
Read in May, 2009, read count: 1

As anyone who grew up in a small town can tell you, they all have their own little secrets, their own little idiosyncrasies, their own little squabbles and issues. In a place where pretty much everyone knows everyone else, or has at least heard of everyone, it's just the way things tend to be. Castle Rock is no different, and in fact, it may have more than most. For those people such as myself who have read Stephen King's work before, this place is not new. We have walked these streets before, and know at least a portion of the secrets that the town holds.

This book however delves even deeper into the way the people in the town are connected to each other, and being King, it's not in a good way. This gives us a look into the darker side of the human spirit as well as the supernatural darkness that we have come to expect. We see them as people, and then it shows us how the people can so easily be turned into monsters with just a little push in the right direction. That in itself is a much scarier aspect of this book than Mr. Gaunt could be in any incarnation.

I enjoyed this book, although it does perhaps get a little long in the tooth in places. However it is interesting to see how each of the characters lives mingle with each other, and how they deal with their own particular 'Needful Thing'.

All in all it was a decent story with good characters. I also think it was a good way to say goodbye (for the most part) to a town that many of us have been to before.

Favorite quotes/passages

...The Dance of Female Investigation is as sure as the fact of death and the force of gravity.

There were people who lied for gain, people who lied from pain, people who lied simply because the concept of telling the truth was utterly alien to them...and then there were people who lied because they were waiting for it to be time to tell the truth.

She nodded. Her frown smoothed out a little but did not disappear. "Of course I do. Characters in movies and TV shows always get to spend a little more time pining dramatically, don't they?"
"You put your finger on it. In the movies you get a lot of pining but precious little grief. Because grief is too real. Grief is..." He let go of her arms, slowly picked up a dish and began to wipe it dry. "Grief is brutal."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Needful Things.