Ed's Reviews > A Separate Peace

A Separate Peace by John Knowles

Apr 06, 09

Read in January, 1969

My first novel.

Tiring of typical grade school fare I surreptitiously ordered A Separate Peace from the "other side" of the monthly Bantam book order form - unbeknownst to my Mother and my teacher. As grade school and high school books were shipped intermingled I plucked my order from the school shipment the moment the boxes were opened. Before I even opened the book I sensed that if I wanted to finish it, I better do so secretly.

I had no trouble reading the piece from a vocabulary standpoint but more importantly I found I was capable of transcending my years in grasping the mature subject matters it proposed. In retrospect I probably had no business reading such a book at such an early age.

But I did.

And it forever changed my understanding of what books could be.
34 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Separate Peace.

Christine Cavalier I forever remember this book. I have stated it as a favorite since I read it as a teen (or preteen?). I'm so excited to hear that someone else had the same experience with this book. It is so very near and dear to my heart, and like you, it taught me what novels are supposed to be.

Adam Marquis So, having wanked all over how much of a precocious little tot you were, will you now grace us with a review?

Charles Houser This book had a powerful hold on me as a teenager (much more so than CITR). I remember keeping a diary in the form of letters to Gene (having a dark side, he was the only person on the planet I believed would possibly understand me), and it was the only novel I took with me when I ran away from home. I've re-read it many times and it always resonates. Honest and richly layered.

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise Debois Charles - U must have a problem with your SEND button! ha! . . . .just kidding :(

message 10: by Denise (new)

Rubing Bai These ideas are so good! It creates impact on people. It makes people realize how can a book lasts this long.