David's Reviews > White Teeth

White Teeth by Zadie Smith

M_50x66
Apr 26, 09

Read in April, 2009

A lot of people seem to start reading this book wanting to like it, but then find they don't. I didn't start off with any intentions but I did like it when I started reading. However as with those people I found I couldn't like it in the end. It starts off being quite a funny description of stereotypical lives of people from different cultures thrown together in London. Then it seems to lose its way in little sub-stories which one assumes are meant to give some kind of depth to the characters but none of the characters are likeable nor do they have any positive attributes. I don't have anything against books without positive characters, but you do end up thinking everyone would have been a lot better off if they had all stayed in their own countries. The author does have some good points about how silly people can be, but increasingly toward the end of the book each chapter seems to end in some incomprehensible rant about who knows what. I'd have given one star more for each 100 pages of nonsense cut out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Teeth.