Pietrus Block's Reviews > The Brothers Karamazov

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Aug 29, 07

Recommended for: Everyone
Read in August, 2007

"Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love."

"This is my last message to you: in sorrow seek happiness. Work, work unceasingly."

"He has done me no harm. But I played him a dirty trick, and ever since then I have hated him."

"It's the great mystery of human life that old grief passes gradually into quiet tender joy. The mild serenity of age takes the place of the riotous blood of youth."

"Any man of sense will always come back to reason in time, but, if love does not gain the upper hand in a youth's heart at such an exceptional moment, when will it?"

"Tragic phrases should be forgiven, they must be. Tragic phrases comfort the heart...without them, sorrow would be too heavy for men to bear."

"God preserve you, Alyosha, from ever asking forgiveness from a woman you love. From one you love especially, however greatly you may have been at fault. For a woman--devil only knows what to make of a woman; I know something about them, anyway. But try acknowledging you are at fault to a woman. Say 'I am sorry, forgive me,' and a shower of reproaches will follow! Nothing will make her forgive you simply and directly. She'll humble you to dust, bring forward things that have never happened, recall everything, forget nothing, add something of her own, and only then forgive you. And even the best, the best of them do it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brothers Karamazov.