Jim's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

2193587
Oct 09, 11

Read in October, 2009

A Game of Thrones by Author George R.R. Martin is a fantasy novel that reminds me a lot of the epic classic, Le Morte d'Arthur. It has small elements of Tolkien-like fantasy, but really almost fits better with historical fiction.

House Stark is the ruling family of the North that is responsible for defending the northern border of the kingdom from various enemies. Lord Eddard Stark, ruler and father of House Stark, receives a visit from his old friend and comrade, King Robert Baratheon. Stark soon finds himself at the center of a conspiracy of rival lords to take the kingdom for themselves.

This book really has some spectacular moments, but overall, I can't help but feel like it's a tad overrated. It is well written and definitely has some interesting characters and plot twists. However, the author has the propensity of jumping from character to character so frequently that it became maddening to me at times. It disrupts the continuity of the story and becomes very annoying. Your head begins to spin trying to keep track of the many, many characters and all of the details. The book also really stalls out at times and I couldn't help but feel like it was taking way too long to go somewhere. Martin also loves to spend a lot of time on various, intricate details that become pointless and boring and just seem to take up a lot of pages for no real reason. It reminded me of Terry Goodkind in that way. Readers of Goodkind know what I mean.

Throughout the book I was thinking of giving it a 2 or 3 star rating out of my boredom and its general lack of progress, but the story picks up steam as it goes. Toward the end of the book the author finally reveals some history of the kingdom that I found very interesting. And the ending, to me, was brilliant. Overall, the book is worth reading just because it does have such a terrific, interesting ending that it makes up for a lot of my criticisms. I would recommend it for fantasy lovers. I did give it 4 stars, but just barely.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.