Diana Joseph's Reviews > Flowers in the Attic

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews

Apr 05, 2009

bookshelves: currently-reading

I haven't read this book since I was 15. I am pleased to report it is as filthy as I remember. I am so going to write an essay about how important this book was to me, how much influence it had on me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers in the Attic.

message 1: by Dwanna (new)

Dwanna "pleased to report it is as filthy as I remember" - ha, I love it! I remember reading this book as a teen too. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about its having an influence on you or if you're serious.

message 2: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana Joseph I'm serious! I loved this book, and it's fun to think about how it influenced how I thought about grown-ups. Not to mention how much it made me suspicious of my brother.

message 3: by Dwanna (new)

Dwanna Well now I didn't have a brother, or I'm sure it would have had a much more profound effect on me than it did. :)

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda All of her books bring back memories. I was always partial to "My Sweet Audrina" but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was about or why I liked it so much.

message 5: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana Joseph Brenda wrote: "All of her books bring back memories. I was always partial to "My Sweet Audrina" but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was about or why I liked it so much."

I remember Audrina. She was the girl with the slutty cousin Vera. Audrina was told she was the second Audrina--the first Audrina died, mysteriously--and the second Audrina had these weird issues with time. She didn't know how old she was, she had trouble keeping track of time. I won't say more because I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it's quite the story.

message 6: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Yes! I remember loving that concept in the way that early adolescent girls put themselves into the lives of the characters. There was something, I don't know, romantic about the idea of being Audrina. Or maybe that was just me. :)

Maria What's not to love?

message 8: by Sasha (new) - added it

Sasha This book is too disturbing. IT gives new meaning to when one says their brother is an "a-hole" :)

message 9: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn Flynn I read My Sweet Audrina, too! Then my mom put it in our garage sale and I never forgave her.

message 10: by G (new) - rated it 3 stars

G Ah, an essay I can't wait to read. Why is it we all were infatuated with that book in the first place?

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I always loved the Heaven series better.