Bonnie's Reviews > Interpreter of Maladies

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

Jul 05, 11

bookshelves: pulitzer-prize, lover-of-foods, 2011, addresses-race-issue, india, great-britain, london, boston, new-york-city, fiction, new-england, short-story
Recommended to Bonnie by: Matt Christensen
Recommended for: Barbara Candland
Read from June 27 to July 05, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This book is essentially a collection of nine short tales which seem to me are about the perception of East Indians and East Indian Americans as they live with their feet in both worlds, between the Old (India)and the New World (America). Even though each story is completely disparate from each other, one still feels a common theme running through them that makes them flow from story to story rather than being disjointed, as some books of essays do.

I would like to pick a favorite but I loved them all. If I must it would likely be, This Blessed House, which makes you smile; however, A Temporary Matter makes you gasp; and, Mrs. Sen's makes you cry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interpreter of Maladies.

04/05/2009 page 32
16.16% "This is a collection of short stories the author won the Pulitzer Prize for. Really really liked the first one called, A Temporary Matter."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stacy I love this one. I've had my students read This Blessed House in the past. I personally think that one is actually rather dark under the surface of comedy. It's tragic how they fell in "love" with a sense of the exotic other, but really have such a disfunctional relationship.