Whitney 's Reviews > The Diary of a Young Girl

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

Jul 28, 2013

bookshelves: young-adult, favorite, own
Read in February, 2008 — I own a copy

For her 13th birthday Anne Frank received a diary she dubbed Kitty. Shortly after her birthday with the fear that her older sister, Margo may be taken by the Nazis the Franks disappear into the night and go into hiding. It is through Kitty that Anne records her thoughts and daily life living behind a bookcase in the secret annex.

When I was younger I went through a "holocaust" phase before moving on to Harriet Tubman and slavery. The funny thing is that Anne Frank's Diary was not the first Holocaust book I read, I think that was The Devil's Advocate. Anyway,I soon became fascinated by the Secret Annex and the secluded life she lived for two years. Unfortunately she and the other occupants of the Annex were betrayed and sent to concentration camps with only her father Otto Frank surviving. The tragic thing (not to minimize the inhumanity of it all) is that Anne died mere weeks before liberation. Anne's dream was to have her diary published after the war and after liberation her father saw that happen, making Kitty a time capsule to an unfathomable past.

View all my reviews on my blog She is too fond of books

135 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of a Young Girl.

Michelle This is taken directly from the back cover of the book...

Whitney I've been thinking I need to go back and rephrase/review. I wrote this several years ago when I was just starting to write reviews and cop/pasted the description with a few thoughts of my own.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Somers Is this a "good read" for an intelligent nine year girl in fourth grade?

Whitney This is a great read for a nine year old! I was about that age the first time I read it. The Diary of a Young Girl is an amazing, heartwrenching read and is still one of my favorites.

Whitney Odinia wrote: "Actually this book is a well known fraud. The girl who supposedly wrote it, actually died of typhus and it was written in ball point pen, which had not been invented yet."

Seriously? Wow, I will have to check into that. If Anne Frank's Diary is a fraud than that is just sick.

Alex Odinia has pasted the same nonsense on every single review of this book on this site, Whitney. (Seriously, check around. It must have taken forever.) It's completely untrue, of course. Odinia is just a sad anti-Semite with too much time on his or her hands.

Whitney Alex wrote: "Odinia has pasted the same nonsense on every single review of this book on this site, Whitney. (Seriously, check around. It must have taken forever.) It's completely untrue, of course. Odinia is ju..."

Yeah, I noticed the "chain comment" after I responded. I'm a little embarrassed I took the bait, I thought it sounded a little ridiculous at the time. After I "checked it out" realize its false and concur with your last sentence.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Whitney (She is too fond of books) wrote: "Odinia wrote: "Actually this book is a well known fraud. The girl who supposedly wrote it, actually died of typhus and it was written in ball point pen, which had not been invented yet."

Seriously..."

It is not a fraud. The ball point went on the market in 1938, for one thing.

Whitney I agree that it is not a fraud and I should have left Ordinia's comment be. My comment wasn't meant as an agreement of her beliefs, as I do not in any shape or form think that.

I know/knew there is enough documentation to support the diary. I think Ordinia is the one writing fiction.

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston Utter BS that the book is a fraud. Far too much documentation -- and it is from Nazi sources to boot -- that Anne Frank existed. Just another troll cruising through trying to make trouble and get attention.

Amanda Alexandre Just to add something, Odinia wasn't wrong when she said anne died of typhus... She did died of typhus... while she was in a concentration camp. Epidemics were quite common in those places, and no one would bother to bring them a doctor.

Emily For my May book report I read The Diary of Anne Frank. This book was written by Anne frank herself. I would give this book a 4.5/5 stars. I would also recommend this book to my friends and family. This book is about Anne and her family hiding from the Nazis. In this book Anne is writing to kitty, her friend ( the diary) about what is happening.The genre of this book is diary, historical nonfiction.

Alysha Miller Thia book was amazing but I thought that she talked alot about tje bad stuff going on in the world insted of the good stuff that is going on in her life. I thought her relationship with Peter was kind of sudden and she was too young to be kissing like that. I am with her father on that topic. ** spoilers** Anne's father tells her that her relationship with Peter was going way too fast and that she should stop going up to the attic alone wuth him. She got really angry with her father for a couple days and she disobeyed her father and went up to the attic anyway but then she realized that it was wrong and stopped going so often.
Anne's story was so touching to me and it makes me feel thankful for all that we get in our countries and that isb't wrld wars anymore devolopingxaround racism. I may be only 13 but I know quite alot about the world problems occuring and I wish I ciuld help end this and have World Peace right now

Amanda Alexandre I think if you're living with someone 24/7 and you like each other, your relationship is bound to evolve a little fast... there was not much to do besides reading and talking.

message 15: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose Roomee maybe a little consertively!

message 16: by Kiandra (new) - added it

Kiandra Campbell I think that the book was nice.... if you are at a place with someone you like and you are afraid to tell him or she just write it down.. thrust me it works every time