Jessikah's Reviews > Fat Hoochie Prom Queen

Fat Hoochie Prom Queen by Nico Medina

May 05, 09

3.5 Stars

If this book was a movie, I would watch the commercials and secretly think about how much I wanted to see it, but I would never admit it to anyone. I would wait for it to come out on a Premium Channel and watch it alone when no one was home. If anyone came in while said movie was on, I would dive across the bed/couch or whatever and change the channel before they knew what I was doing. I would probably wish I had the DVD to watch when I was in a bad mood, but be too afraid anyone would see it on my shelves.

That said, this was an entertaining if not intentionally cheesy book ala Mean Girls meets some other trendy teen flick I have pretended not to have seen a million times. Long story short, Margarita or Madge as she is known by her obligatory gay best friend Lucas lives in Winter Park Florida which is a suburb of Orlando. She is a confident and attractive overweight Latina girl who had been a child actress for Disney with her childhood best friend Brigit, until blonde Brigit got a role in a TV show Madge thought she had in the bag. While Madge insists she was not upset Brigit got the role, we learn through her actions in the story that she is not being truthful to herself on that matter. Aside from this, Brigit never returned any of Margarita's phone calls after this incident leading Madge to hate her former best friend for ditching her. When Brigit leaves homeschooling to attend Winter Park High School, her fame skyrockets her to Queen Bee status. While Madge is generally liked by the student body of her high school, Brigit and she share a mutual dislike. This carries over to a drunken argument at a party where the two insult each other and vow to defeat one another in the race for Prom Queen. While Brigit has funds and publicity on her side, Madge needs to figure out what she has to win.

In the midst of this, Lucas, her best friend has broken up with his first real boyfriend whom Madge adored. He subsequently hooks up with the schools super senior gay man-whore who is implied to be dirty and gross. While I enjoyed this book as a non serious fun read, I found Margarita annoying at times. She had a need to control everything around her including the choices her friends made. She also had a bad habit of lying to herself about important matters, though this was key to character development later on in the story. In spite of this the book was light, silly and as colorful as the cover suggests. I would have liked to see a little more "all out war" on Madge's side, because Brigit was a real bitch in the battle, but it all worked out well enough in the end. Almost too well in fact.

This book is what teen comedies are made of. Topical humor which may seem dated in 5-10 years, a high school popularity contest and wealthy attractive people. The end was delivered wrapped up in a colorful box with a neat little bow which was almost too predictable, but comfortably so.

Please note, also I made a point of turning the cover over whenever my boyfriend was in the area to hide the title of what I was reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fat Hoochie Prom Queen.