Judy's Reviews > Prey

Prey by Rachel Vincent

Jul 05, 09

bookshelves: 2009, favorites
Read in July, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Weaving together a story that is at turns suspenseful, angst-ridden, tail-kicking and heart-wrenching, Ms. Vincent has written what is arguably the best Shifter novel so far. I picked it up yesterday afternoon and didn't put it down until I finished it at 2 am. I'm not sure I can do the book justice without giving away anything, but I'll try.

The story picks up two months after Pride ended with Vic, Ethan, Manx (and her baby Des) and Faythe on their way to Atlanta for Manx's trial. They have to pass through Mississippi on the way so of course Faythe's excited about seeing Marc, whom she hasn't seen since he was exiled as part of the political power struggle in the Territorial Council. Their reunion is cut short when they are ambushed by a pack of strays along the highway and any further hopes of getting together again are dashed when Marc disappears leaving behind two dead toms and a lot of his own blood.

In addition to Faythe having to deal with the fallout from Calvin Malone's political power struggle against her father, Manx's trial, and Marc's disappearance, Kaci, the young teenage werecat introduced in Pride, is refusing to Shift, which can be fatal for a werecat. Faythe has to balance all of this along with her job as enforcer to find out what the strays in the free zone are up to and why they attacked the Pride.

Ethan and Jace, Faythe's brother and his best friend who are fellow enforcers and two of my favorite characters, both play huge roles in this book, though not always happy ones.

The political power struggle just gets more intense as the story continues and there is a surprising twist at the end. This book left me wanting more, which is, I feel, the mark of a good series/book. I am anxiously awaiting Book 5.

If you like urban fantasy and haven't read any of Rachel Vincent's books, do yourself a favor and go read them. Now.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prey.