Jessica's Reviews > The Duke and I

1947315
Apr 05, 09

bookshelves: romance-historical, auth-j-quinn, favorites
Read in March, 2009, read count: 4

Daphne is the eldest daughter, pressured to find a husband and Simon is the much sought after Duke of Hastings, being suffocated by the "Ambitious Mamas" of the ton.

I loved this book because Simon is one of the few males that appreciate Daphne for the beautiful, charming, sharp witted gal that she is. And in turn, Daphne is one of the few people Simon is able to relax around.
There is a certain forbidden aspect to their romance because Simon is the best friend of Daphne's oldest brother which makes her OFF LIMITS...but rakes do as they please. There are so many really sweet moments between these two that I can't go through the book and pick out just the few scenes I loved, I have to read it beginning to end.

This is one of the first historical romances I have read. Before I read it, I remember laughing at the saucy picture on the back with my BF. Afterwards, it was hard admitting to liking a romance novel, and that saucy picture wasn't so funny anymore.

Series in order of my favorite to least favorite:

1. The Duke And I (Daphne & Simon)
2. The Viscount Who Loved Me (Anthony & Kate)
3. Romancing Mr. Bridgerton (Colin & Penelope)
4. It's In His Kiss (Hyacinth & Gareth)
5. An Offer From A Gentleman (Benedict & Sophia)
6. To Sir Phillip, With Love (Eloise & Phillip)
7. On The Way To The Wedding (Gregory & Lucy)
8. When He Was Wicked (Francesca & Michael)

I love Julia Quinn's writing. Her books always have a bit of humor seemingly without even trying. She writes relationships so well, with teasing siblings and friendly banter, even hatred between enemies.
Violet Bridgerton is the best Mom in the world. I love that she has a special moment with each of her children in their books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duke and I.