Lisa Butterworth's Reviews > Legacy

Legacy by Lois McMaster Bujold

Jul 15, 09

Read in April, 2009

I opened up Vol 4, and realized that I couldn't remember the series well enough to understand what was going on, so I went crazy and got all four books from the library and devoted my week to reading them all in a row. What a lovely week it was.

I am just so enthralled by this world she has created, the ground sense magic, the ancient immortal malices growing out of the earth, the difficult cultural divides, and so many lovely and starkly real characters.

This wasn't the most fun I've had reading a Bujold book, not packed with bigger than life action and rollicking good times. The pacing was lovely, but it was a very grown-up book (with magic) full of real adult problems: (magical) in-laws that won't accept you, a world not ready to make the changes it must make, and no easy answer for the questions what next. The world is falling behind the malice threat, and the so clever culminating battle with this beautiful powerful malice, and easy ending that turns out to be so difficult, the solutions (such as they are) coming from an outsider, a farmer girl, who doesn't know better than to try something wildly different. And the horrifying mound of bodies that pile up at the end. It's heart wrenching.

and the only solution is to get their two cultures (lakewalkers and farmers) to somehow work together, but the barriers to this happening are vast and so difficult.

I LOVE Bujold, she is a master.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legacy.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Nothing like escaping into a book. If only our houses would clean themselves while we do it!