Tom's Reviews > Magic Street

Magic Street by Orson Scott Card

Apr 19, 2009

did not like it
Read in April, 2009

Maybe my expectations are too high for Orson Scott Card, but I really didn't like this book.

Maybe it was having "A Midsummer Night's Dream" as the crux of the story. I never much liked Shakespeare, and if you have ever read Midsummer Night's Dream (or seen the play), you know THAT story is itself a mess: a mashup of fairies, mixed/mistaken couples, etc, etc.,

So... Bad enough to start, but then putting the whole middle-English fairy/fantasy farce into a black neighborhood of L.A.... Can two cultures be ANY further apart? Picture any Shakespeare play re-written in "Ebonics" and you might start to see the problem here. Speaking of which, the black lingo in the book, while presumably authentic, was completely unnecessary. I GOT that it's in a black neighborhood, I don't need to be reminded every time a character opens his/her mouth.

This might have made a tolerable five minute skit for "In Living Color" or "Saturday Night Live." But take my word for it, it doesn't work for a 400 page novel.

The story repeatedly makes the point that there is power in wishes. About 100 pages in, I just kept wishing it would be over. It took another 300 pages for my wish to be granted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Street.