Kelly Maybedog's Reviews > Go Ask Alice

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks

I must have been incredibly naive back in high school when I read this because it scared the pants off me. But what made me not forget it was that she died in the end anyway. That made me incredibly sad. I knew it was poorly written but I figured that was realistic since it was supposedly written by a teen.

yes, I don't usually like moralizing and I don't like deceit but drugs are such an enormous problem with teens that if it helps even one kid stay away from drugs, where's the harm?

My own daughter fell into drugs incredibly fast, literally within a few weeks. She went from being afraid to be outside by herself to running away, doing drugs, and sleeping around to get them (including with adults) within the space of less than a month. True, she is not wired right and her birth mother and birth grandmother did the same thing, but it still was shocking to all of us in the field how fast it was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go Ask Alice.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon I will pray for your daughter and you.

Kelly  Maybedog Jon wrote: "I will pray for your daughter and you. "
Thank you. I'll be fine. I thought she was doing better but she ran Friday night and word is she's with her new boyfriend, a drug dealer. Argh.

Kelly  Maybedog It's a year later and I just wanted to let anyone who reads this know that after nearly three years of running, living on the streets and in group care, being incarcerated repeatedly, and several failed drug rehab programs, my daughter has now been home for 4 months without running. Although she has still used alcohol and marijuana, she has only had 4 dirty UAs (Urinary Analysis) and there is no indication that she has done meth or opiates, her drugs of choice, in that time except once when she stole my last Vicodin to get back at me in February. She's going to school and making an effort (somewhat) and has chosen much better friends. Apparently anything is possible!

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy That's good news, Kelly. I hope your daughter continues to be successful with her recovery.

Lisa Vegan Kelly, I"m glad I saw your post and I'm very happy to hear that, and I wish her the best of luck - I know what a challenge it must be. Thanks for sharing and I hope you have/get some peace of mind.

Kelly  Maybedog Thank you both. I'm so proud of her.