Liz's Reviews > Eragon

2191574
Dec 25, 09

bookshelves: 2009, action-adventure-etc, sci-fi-fantasy-etc, ya, sucked
Read in July, 2007, read count: 4 1/2

After being a fan for a while, I am now here to tell you that this book is six hundred pages of epic fail. But I enjoy this for what it is: a badly-written book that relies on the reader's knowledge of stereotypes and the typical journey to get by. I read this when I don't care about characterisation or depth or logic or original ideas, when I want to squee over Murtagh, when I want to sink into a book that doesn't require me to pay much attention--that even lets me absently skim the words on the page for as much as a chapter without really losing anything by it.

Yes, it's the systematic execution of all that is right in fantasy literature and literature in general. I don't care.

Eragon lets me delight in meaninglessness all the more because it is unintended, unlike authors such as Daniel Handler (Lemony Snicket), who promise you a rip-roaring story all the way through and then don't deliver. Eragon doesn't let you get your hopes up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eragon.

09/28/2009 page 231 "Paolini may have committed hideous crimes against literature, but I just want a sprawling book that doesn't have any deeper thought in it."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice review. Do you feel as though your later experiences with books helped you see it differently, or just see it more clearly?

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz Definitely differently. I was a Paolini worshipper.

And it wasn't my later experiences with books. It was these wonderful folks at a site called ImpishIdea. They're a lot more vocal about stuff than I am, and more extreme in their opinions about Inheritance and Twilight than I am. They also do articles on writing and stuff, so I fell in with them and I'm glad I did.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah, so you're getting into literary analysis now? Cool. (I could wrong, that's just what the site looks like to me.) It's fun to look at things from different angles.

message 4: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz Well, I want to be a writer, so... gotta keep tabs on these things. It is literary analysis, but also some humour etc. And the forums are wonderful. You can actually find stuff in them.

message 5: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz I sound so preachy. :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol, it's cool. I'm in lit analysis too, only it's my honors English class. Did you know it was possible to analyze humor?

message 7: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz Anything is possible in lit.