David's Reviews > Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

M_50x66
Apr 05, 09

Read in February, 2009

Very thought-provoking, well balanced book that discusses how first impressions and reactions can lead or mislead us to right or wrong conclusions. Though at first seeming to advocate the use of more "first impression" decisionmaking, the book does go on to cover the problems of relying on our gut reactions to make critical decisions. I "read" this book as an audio CD which was narrated by the author himself, and I thought Malcolm Gladwell did an excellent job both in formulating the book and presenting it as narrator, as the book is essentially a collection of examples and stories about how our responses can be correctly and incorrectly utilized. It made me want to listen to more of his books, especially "Tipping Point" and possibly "Outliers".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blink.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elena (new)

Elena Thanks David,
I am a non fiction junkie and am always looking for good reads, I will definately check out this one. Are you guys around for Pascha? It is time to catch up!
Elena

message 2: by David (last edited Apr 07, 2009 03:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

David Elena wrote: "Thanks David,
Elena"

Hi, Elena! I've been meaning to thank you for referring me to this site! I use it mainly to keep track of what I'm reading, but occasionally I'll read what others are reading and what they have to say about stuff that I've read. I, too, tend toward nonfiction, and in general I stay away from modern fiction, although I have had a couple of good forays into that as well. Although I can read pretty quickly, I've found that I really enjoy audiobooks, especially those read by the author, if they are good at narrating it. It's like having a one-way conversation. One book in particular that stands out for this reason is Elizabeth Gilbert's _Eat,_Pray,_Love_, which is a memoir/travelogue. I bought the book if you would like to borrow it, but shortly after I bought it I realized I didn't have time to read it so I borrowed the audiobook from the library. The book is read by Elizabeth Gilbert herself, and she's VERY good at narrating it, so it really felt as though I were getting a true, firsthand account. The best modern fiction book I've listened to recently is _Atonement_ by Ian McEwan. It is the book on which the recent movie was made (starring Keira Knightley) and is very well written.

It only takes me 20 minutes to get to work, but in the 40 minutes I have commuting, I get an amazing amount "read". That's why I like to keep track of the books I've gone through. In fact, I had forgotten that I had read _Blink_, and added to my list just recently.

I don't know if you are aware of this new medium, but the library has these devices, I think they are called "takeaways" or something like that. Anyway, it's a self-contained playback device (much smaller than a pack of cigarettes) that you listen to with earbuds and can take with you anywhere. Each book is on its own takeaway, which runs on one AAA battery. At the library, if you are the first person to check out that particular takeaway book, you get the pair of earbuds that comes with it; otherwise, you can buy a new pair of earbuds at the circulation desk for only $1.00, and of course they're reusable. The library puts new batteries in the takeaways before they go back on the shelf. Now that I've used the word "takeaway" so many times, I hope they really are called that!

Yes, we will be around for Pascha, what with the music responsibilities at Four Evangelists. Maybe we can take some time off and get together!

Take care, and God bless!
;-D avid