Vicki's Reviews > The Unbinding

Jan 04, 08

bookshelves: novels, stopped-in-the-middle, total-crap
Recommended for: nope
Read in January, 2008

I'm still technically reading this book. (As in, I haven't finished it yet, not that I'm actively reading it.) But I don't like it. I'm going to finish it, for two reasons: 1) I will not be bested by a book; and 2) it's like 35 pages long. Seriously, if I ever just pick it back up, I'll finish it and then I can hate it, qualm-free.

Here's the thing: it's a book that was initially published online, in installments. If you read it when it came out, you followed all of these links in the text to webpages that acted not like footnotes, but like thousands of (often jarring) minijokes and assisted the tone. But it's really been an awful experience for me. You can't get swept away in a book if you have to hover over the webpage (provided for those who purchased the bound book) clicking the appropriate links. Oh, and did I mention that about a third of the links are defunct?

P.S. whoever writes blurbs for the backs of novels: disliking authority is not enough to make a writer Orwellian.

I have to stop now; I'm talking myself out of finishing the book.

edited to add: Screw this, I got like 15 books for Christmas that I WANT to read. I'm finished pretending that I'm going to go back to this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbinding.