Katya's Reviews > Skinned

Skinned by Robin Wasserman

Jan 12, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult, apocalypse-now
Read on January 09, 2012

Despite the several problems with this book (there's no such thing as flawless YA (with the exception of Holly Black)) I really enjoyed it. It was a quick, easy read and I blew through it in one night.

It really is reminiscent of Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series, starting with the cover design and ending with the world-building, jargon and the issues raised in the series. In both series, society is shallow and image-obsessed, futuristic and controlled by an invisible government determined to keep citizens under control one way or another. The similarities aren't a bad thing, but I have to say that I liked Uglies much more. For one, there was a lot more action.

But this isn't a review of Uglies. It's a review of Skinned. And I thought Skinned raised some very interesting questions on its own, such as the existence of souls/spirits, the definition of humanity and some good socio-economic points. It's a bit ableist, sure, but the ableism is in society, not the book's depiction of disability.

I'll be interested to see where Wasserman takes the series. I hope to see Lia grow even more - she'd become a little more open-minded throughout the story but I'd like to see her become less sheltered and naive, especially in regards to sociology, classicism and racism. I'd also like to see more action - a lot of Skinned was about Lia's coming to terms with her new reality, and dealing with the question of her humanity, and I want to see her be more involved with her surroundings. No man is an island, after all, and Lia's leaving home at the end implies that her world will continue to be shaken up. Let's hope.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skinned.

01/09/2012 page 180