MAP's Reviews > Anne of Windy Poplars

Anne of Windy Poplars by L.M. Montgomery

Apr 05, 09

bookshelves: fiction, classics
Read in April, 2009

Please someone tell me if I'm crazy....Did Anne Shirley and a student named Lewis meet with a ghost, take a picture of him, and then when they found out he was a ghost, they took in total stride and gave the picture to his father?

Did that seriously happen in this book? Or did some of my pages have LSD on them?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of Windy Poplars.

04/04/2009 page 33
12.79% "It's amazing how an epistolary novel makes for such dense reading."
04/04/2009 page 55
21.32% "Darn, reading all about the Pringles has me craving some. How am I going to make it through this book without buying a can of pringles?"
04/05/2009 page 142
55.04% "Uh...was that a ghost? someone confirm this: Anne and a friend talked with and took a picture of a ghost."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah no, he's not a ghost but he's about to die. Anne & Lewis take the last picture of him alive, and the child's father is eternally grateful to them for it.

Susetyo Priyojati Lewis stalled for 3 weeks before he developed the picture, and a few days might pass before they found out that the child had died in 3 weeks' time. So the child died a short time after his picture was taken.

Monica Like you, I had a moment I thought the child had already departed when Anne and Lewis met him. That was not the case. The great appreciation was that, following the death, the father had verbalized 'if he only had a picture', and thanks to Lewis he now had one.

message 4: by Linder (new) - added it

Linder MAP, I thought the same exact thing when I first read it. I'm re-reading it now, several years later, and I only just realized the 3-week time lapse. Good question!

Anna Lewis and Anne took a picture of the boy (he was alive) and three weeks later when it had developed, they took the picture back to his father and found out that the boy had died and it was the only picture they had of him! That's why he was so grateful :)