Mark's Reviews > Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel

Vagabonding by Rolf Potts

Jul 09, 09

Recommended for: fraidy-cat wanna-be solo travelers
Read in April, 2009

A travel advice book and self help book all in one. I was expecting a journal type of novel .... instead what you get is some insightful tips about leaving the tour group behind and striking out on your own to distant lands and far away places. Since I enjoy doing this anyway the book was kind of a no brainer for me. For someone that has never traveled solo overseas it would be a God-send. Some great tips and lots of wonderful advice. There is a nice passage in the book about getting over the lauaguage barrier and personal safety..... "Remember, most people out in the world are nice and willing to help a traveler in need, just don't expect it in war-torn countries or dark city alleys." Love that line.

There are helpful excerpts concerning working abroad, volunteering opportunities, and traveler resources. If you're thinking about setting out on your own, give this book a read. Oh, and if you set out on your own .... for god's sake keep your wits about you and never trust anyone that approaches you first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vagabonding.