Artesha Sanders's Reviews > Uncle Tom's Cabin

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

U 50x66
Jan 23, 13

Harriet Beecher Stowe’s novel, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, was a powerful novel about the cruelties and heartbreaks of slavery. Arthur Shelby (a nice slave owner) can’t afford to keep all the slaves and sells Uncle Tom- a middle aged slave with a family. He was going to sell Harry, her maid slave's son, but the mother Eliza runs away with Harry. This novel focuses on the struggles that each character had to endure. It emphasizes on keeping faith in god and knowing he will come through for you.
The author’s purpose for writing this book is to show the power of keeping faith in god even when you are going through hell, to tell about the evils of slavery, and show the power of women. “Witness, eternal God! Oh, witness that, from this hour, I will do what one man can to drive out this curse of slavery from my land!” (Uncle Tom’s Cabin). Throughout the novel, the slave, Tom, kept his faith. He knew that there were good whites in the world because he lived with one. Harriet Beecher Stowe wanted to bring to everyone’s attention that slavery was bad and should be emancipated. There was no doubt in her mind that it was an evil concept. During this time, everyone in the north was reading this novel, but the south wanted nothing to do with it.
The impact that this novel has on its audience is a sense of wanting to help others. When you read it, you can feel the slave’s pain. The way Harriet Beecher describes their pain and their determination to persevere is moving. It is definitely a lasting feeling because it is a very detailed and well-written book. When someone says “have you ever read Uncle Tom’s Cabin?” a feeling of wow that was a good book will come over you. It really has that effect. The book is extremely well written. It goes into detail the emotions that each slave that she focuses on felt. “Tom read,—"Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." "Them's good words, enough," said the woman; "who says 'em?" "The Lord," said Tom. "I jest wish I know'd whar to find Him," said the woman.” (Uncle Tom’s Cabin)
The book was very captivating. It was pretty dramatic, but it makes you hang on every word. The character Eliza reminded me a lot of my mom. The way she fights to keep her son, Harry. “Please Mrs. Shelby; don’t let them take him from me” (Uncle Tom’s Cabin). Her determination to make sure she wasn’t separated from him was heartwarming. One day, my mom and I were in the store in line. As we were leaving, the lady behind us came and shoved me out the line. I told my mother and let’s just say she had some words with the woman. This just goes to show what mothers will do to protect their children or to make sure that they are defended at all times. The book was nowhere near boring. It was an awesome book.
The greatest strength of this novel is the detail. It goes into such detail about the emotions and how each slave was feeling. The dialogue makes you feel like you are right there in the conversation. You can feel the pain that Tom went through and his hope during his times of heartache. You feel the fear that Eliza felt of getting caught while trying to get to Canada with Harry. There is a sense of joy when you find out the slave made it to a kind Quaker’s house while on the run. The greatest weakness would definitely be the length of the book. There were 480 pages. To read the book is time consuming.
I would absolutely recommend this book. In all, the book was awesome and very long. It takes a while to read, but once you get into it, it’s a really good book. It makes you feel a certain way and keeps your attention like what’s gonna happen next. It is good how all the characters tie into the plot. It’s like the saying “the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree”. Even though it fell, it’s never that far and you get to see that at the end of the novel. This is an educational and inspiration piece by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uncle Tom's Cabin.