Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > Whisper of Warning

Whisper of Warning by Laura Griffin

Apr 04, 09

bookshelves: 2009-reads
Read in April, 2009

Whew! I'm still working on getting my breath back and heart rate down. "Whisper of Warning" is Laura Griffin's latest and a zinger of a romantic suspense novel. The action starts off with the first scene, slowly picks up momentum, and then BAM! You're off and running and it doesn't really stop until the very end!

Courtney's past, and even her recent actions, make her a very good candidate for serious counseling. She's impulsive and excitable, and doesn't really trust anyone except her sister. When the married jerk she dumped six months ago (as soon as she found out he was married) keeps hounding her via email, she finally agrees to meet him at the park. Five minutes later, he's dead and she's running for her life. Now, she's the best suspect in his murder and the only thing standing between her and a determined hitman is the brand new detective working her case.

Will is the new guy in the precinct, but his Special Forces training is something he can't let go of quite so easily. Turns out that's not a bad thing as spending time with Courtney will probably require those skills. He's never been 'involved' with a suspect, but there's just something about Courtney, other than her innocence, that keeps him close and protective. And until he can figure out exactly who is trying to kill her and why...well, close to him is probably the best place for her.

More suspense than romance in my opinion. But the romance that IS there packs quite a sizzle. Griffin does a good job of threading clues and suspects throughout the story and I didn't figure out the bad guys til she gave it up at the end. I confess to being confused a time or two by the flood of names and how some characters used first names and some last names (which just made it harder, but was more realistic for the cops) but gradually I did get it all sorted out. I was a little peeved that Courtney's soon-to-be-brother-in-law didn't have more involvement with the case but since he's with the DA's office I guess I'll have to let that slide.

Courtney was an interesting character with serious difficulties to overcome and the way Will handled her made me grin and giggle or sometimes fan myself! A hero that's a man of few words would be hard to write and kudos to Griffin for getting Will's nature across without having to change it.

Anyway, if you like your romantic suspense a little heavy on the suspense...pick up "Whisper of Warning". Bet you'll become a fan.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whisper of Warning.

message 1: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Darn it--another one to get...:)

Pamela(AllHoney) Auntee wrote: "Darn it--another one to get...:)"

I know what u mean... u'd think these people would let us get our Mt Everest, I mean TBR, down a little before they start tempting us weak bookaholics...

message 3: by Blackbook (new) - added it

Blackbook I almost missed this one. I really like her. Too bad it was good.

message 4: by Julie (jjmachshev) (last edited Apr 06, 2009 07:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julie (jjmachshev) And I had a love/hate relationship with her (the heroine) at first. But the more I read, the more I wanted to go have a few drinks with her...and dish on men and trash the floozies.