Mitch's Reviews > Everbound

Everbound by Brodi Ashton

Feb 01, 13

Read from January 23 to 27, 2013

With Everbound, I get the exact same feeling as I had with its predecessor, Everneath. I like Brodi Ashton’s unique spin on Greek mythology, particularly the myth of Hades and Persephone, but for me, it’s just missing something. I guess beyond the premise I just don’t see how the execution of this series stands out from every other paranormal romance featuring a girl, two guys, and a supernatural plot involving the three I’ve ever read, so while the paranormal hook is fairly interesting, the rest of this feels like just another angst filled blatant play for emotions that leaves me feeling nothing.

I’m assuming a big part of the appeal is supposed to be Nikki’s reaction to Jack’s sacrifice that was the cliffhanger of Everneath. And it’s supposed to be really romantic the way Nikki ‘saves’ Jack by connecting with him through her dreams like he did for her. Maybe it is, but the only thing the setup does for me is continuously remind me of a song I’ve been trying to forget since 1997:
Every night in my dreams, I see you, I feel you, that is how I know you go on…

Yeah, with Jack (see? see?) now in the Tunnels, the only way Nikki knows he’s alive is when he visits her in her dreams.
Far across the distance, and spaces between us, you have come to show you go on…

Again, he’s in the Tunnels, she’s stuck in our surface world. There are spaces between them. Her heart goes on as long as she knows he alive...

Anyway, I could go on with line by line comparisons between Everbound and My Heart Will Go On, but I don’t want to crib this entire review from Celine Dion. I guess what I’m trying to say is that the relationship between Nikki and Jack is supposed to be romantic and sad and heartbreaking and I’m supposed to feel for Nikki as she goes on this epic quest to save her epic love, but while I liked how Ashton develops Jack’s character and Jack and Nikki’s relationship using some very cleverly incorporated flashbacks, maybe I’m just too jaded or too much of a guy but the whole thing never goes beyond the trite and manufactured and forced stage of Titanic style lameness for me. I mean, I get why Nikki loves Jack and wants to save him, but between the way Nikki’s written, a mix of desperation – to explain why she agrees to become Cole’s forfeit in the first place - and determination - since she’s ultimately responsible for what happens to Jack, and the borderline melodramatic responses to her and Jack’s disappearances from Jack’s mother and her father, I don’t know, I just see how intentionally angsty everything is and really didn’t care for Nikki or for Jack or for Nikki's whole quest to save Jack. And when I’m disinterested and uncaring, well, I guess I’m missing the appeal of the series?

At this point, I’m pretty much only reading for the mythology and for Cole. I had my guesses about the Everneath and how it worked from the first book, and I’m glad Ashton fleshes out the Everneath way beyond the vague mentions before, although Nikki’s journey through the Everneath to rescue Jack didn’t really stand out from other quests through mythical lands I’ve seen before - well, except for the cavern of hands, that was really good. Ashton’s twists on the original myths, as always, are really inspired and one of the few bright spots of the series; she’s made enough changes that I know how the originals go and my initial reaction’s always ‘that’s not how it is at all!’ but I always end up seeing how the changes work in the grander scheme of the overall mythology. Cole of course is the one well written character is a sea of mediocrity and really the only reason why I’m still reading this - it’s rare to find a truly conflicted character with shades of gray who does evil things not just because but with actual reasons behind them. Still, why he keeps associating with Nikki who desperately needs a new angle to her existence besides just ‘Jack! Jack!’ is beyond me.

Basically, if it wasn’t for Cole and his ulterior motives, I probably would’ve given up on this series some time ago. Even still, I’m mostly barely tolerating Nikki and Jack just to see what Cole’ll do next. Not a ringing endorsement, I know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everbound.

message 1: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa No no no!! If you rate this less than 3 you're gonna discourage me to finish first one I think :/

Regina ooh i look forward to this one since my copy is on its way.

Mitch Good luck. I haven't started yet but I'm looking forward to it too.

message 4: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam This actually went really well for me. I'm not sure why exactly, but I didn't think it would. Hope you like it!

Katy Mitch wrote: "I haven't started yet but I'm looking forward to it too."

At the rate we're going...

Mitch Katy wrote: At the rate we're going..."

I'm so sorry :( I can read it tonight. Promise.

Sam wrote: "This actually went really well for me. I'm not sure why exactly, but I didn't think it would. Hope you like it!"

Thanks, that sounds like a really good sign.

Navdha LMAO! My heart will go on? How do you come up with such things?

Mitch Don't tell me the plot didn't remind you of that song? I just couldn't get into it while Celine Dion was singing it in my head, it reminded me of Supernatural's Titanic episode. Ok, too many pop culture references in one comment...

Navdha Mitch wrote: "Don't tell me the plot didn't remind you of that song? I just couldn't get into it while Celine Dion was singing it in my head, it reminded me of Supernatural's Titanic episode. Ok, too many pop cu..."

YOU WATCH SUPERNATURAL!! OMG!! *squuuueeeeeee*

Now that you've put the song inside my head, definitely... :P

But Supernatural's Titanic episode was something entirely different... or was it? Maybe I'm not really getting the reference and am just making a fool of myself. Are you talking about previous seasons episode or this season?

Mitch Yeah, I've watched Supernatural. Not anymore though, I can't seem to find the time and the plots don't interest me as much...

I was talking about the episode where the angels unsink the Titanic to get more souls - Dean gets pissed off whenever that song is playing? That was my reaction while reading the book...

Navdha Me neither. Same.. Life getting in the way. They should've ended it after season 5 when Sam jumped as Lucifer with Michael. 7th season was way better than 6th IMO. I've only watched the first 5 episodes of season 8. Dunno if I'll be continuing. :/

I remember that episode and was referring to the same. Oh that scene. Yup. I ruined your joke... Sorry.. :'(

Mitch Lol I was just rambling. I really don't feel strongly about Everbound as you can probably tell.

Navdha And still 3stars? Mostly you just go with 2? This is one of those series for me which I wanna finish but don't really sit around for the sequel to release. Makes sense? Same was the case with Unearthly.

Navdha Oh and the more I think about it the more I can't help relating the song to the story! You're cruel Mitch!

message 15: by Mitch (last edited Feb 02, 2013 07:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mitch Navdha wrote: "And still 3stars? Mostly you just go with 2? This is one of those series for me which I wanna finish but don't really sit around for the sequel to release. Makes sense? Same was the case with Unear..."

Yeah, I get it. Well, I liked Cole, hence the 3 :p Liked the book enough.

You wouldn't relate if it didn't make sense!

message 16: by Melissa (last edited Feb 03, 2013 06:34AM) (new) - added it

Melissa Mitch wrote: "Navdha wrote: "And still 3stars? Mostly you just go with 2? This is one of those series for me which I wanna finish but don't really sit around for the sequel to release. Makes sense? Same was the ..."

U liked cole?? And BB didnt. You guys are confusing me ://

Mitch I find evil interesting when it's written right like Cole is.

message 18: by Melissa (last edited Feb 03, 2013 10:32PM) (new) - added it

Melissa Mitch wrote: "I find evil interesting when it's written right like Cole is."

So in other words, you like him cause he's really evil and not just a wannabe?

Butterfly I started to like Cole until his true colors showed. I hate him.

message 20: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Butterfly wrote: "I started to like Cole until his true colors showed. I hate him."

And so do you think it's still possible you'll like him again depending on what happens in third book? Or is the thing he did so bad you just can't like him anymore?

Butterfly I don't know. Maybe.

message 22: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa So I'm reading mitchs review while in traffic and jack is in the tunnels??! :0
Why is she on the surface? I thought she wanted to go back too? Aah!

Butterfly Sorry, can't answer that.

message 24: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Ugh BB!!

Butterfly I have a feeling saying that BB no longer stands for Beautiful Butterfly :O

message 26: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Uhm never stood for beautiful butterfly darling.. U really thought that? Aw. How absolutely adorable!!

Don't think LL stands for lovely Lis either huh ;)

Butterfly Hey, me and Nav decided it stands for beauty butter. Nav loves me and so she changed it for me, LL.

message 28: by Butterfly (last edited Feb 03, 2013 11:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Butterfly Melissa wrote: "So I'm reading mitchs review while in traffic and jack is in the tunnels??! :0
Why is she on the surface? I thought she wanted to go back too? Aah!"

Hey, you haven't finished the first book. Why are you reading the second books review?

message 29: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa I dunno. Out of habit? And m's reviews are always great. His comparison with Dion even made me giggle :p (on a Monday morning!!)

Butterfly Yeah, well. I don't know if I should be suprised that Mitch even listed to Celine Dions songs and know most of the lines to even remember them when he read this book.

message 31: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Yeah he prolly knows the song by heart ;) and u know what. He prolly secretly likes it! LOL

Butterfly He "prolly" does. I think I should stop being suprised by Mitch from now on.

message 33: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Just expect the unexpected and don't expect what you normally would expect. If that makes any sense :p

Mitch Melissa wrote: "Yeah he prolly knows the song by heart ;) and u know what. He prolly secretly likes it! LOL"

WTF YOU know the truth and you're still spreading lies?

message 35: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Mitch wrote: "Yes I know the song by heart but only because I have a really good memory for music and lyrics. I've only listened to the song maybe like twice, 4 times tops and never willingly... "

And yet... You sing it ALL the time. ;)

message 36: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Lol M, you like to tease, so now and then I can tease back :p

Butterfly Spreading lies?

message 38: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Yeah yeah I'm a bad person.

Butterfly Nah, I don't think so. It's just Mitch saving his pride or something.

message 40: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Lol no he's right. But I wouldn't call it a lie. Just omitting bit of info :)

Mitch Ok chatterbugs to test a personal theory if y'all get this to 500 comments I will upload my version of My Heart Will Go On to Dropbox so you too can share my annoyance while reading Everbound :p No double posting pls and I reserve the right to delete spam ;)

Navdha Is this you being generous or making us pawns in your mind games? :o

message 43: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Lol Mitch generous
I just spit out my water :p
Mind games hon all mind games!! And we are like his little clueless test objects :p

Navdha Not clueless Mel! Just crazy, docile pawns who'd make interesting test subjects.

message 45: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Puppets!!
And ATM we are even playing his game ya know :/

Navdha Yup. And that's credited to our craziness. :P

message 47: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Navdha wrote: "Yup. And that's credited to our craziness. :P"

500 posts this a lot though. This requires a group mission! Call in the troops chica! ;)

Navdha Hahaha! But no spam remember? He even has rules this time. We could always talk about his disliking books everyone likes. It would be a long never ending discussion for sure. Oh and BB would have loads to say on the matter. ;)

message 49: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Yeah we really need BB here... But what does he calls spam? He didn't define it. So it's subjective. So technically that doesn't count :p he should've been more specific then ;) and say you read this book. Can't you babble about it a bit :p

Navdha You've started to think like him! o.O
Finding the glitches to work for our benefit? He'll be amused. This reminds me, don't you think its funny how we keep talking about him on his thread as if it's not even his thread and he silently just disappears away from the conversation?

lol. I thought my review was enough for the blabbering. :P
I can do it here but I hope it's not your way of getting out spoilers from me..xP

Have you read it yet? I'm on phone so can't tell.

« previous 1