Dave's Reviews > Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ

Ben-Hur by Lew Wallace

Apr 04, 09

Read in February, 2009

Story about Ben Hur (House of Judah) who devotes time to avenging the Romans. He accidently drops a roof tile on the roman governor and his family is sent away. He becomes a slave and eventually a Roman Citizen. Ultimately, the story winds up being more of a discussion of whether Christ comes to earth to be a political king or a king that saves souls. Apparently, it is the latter.
The book itself is compromised of a variety of different styles and appears to have been written in a variety of different narrations. One chapter reminds me of Somerset M. , as it is incredibly detailed and goes on and on. Another chapter is much like Midsummer night’s dream, while yet another is melodramatic love interests. Although it is poorly written, the story itself is compelling enough to keep me interested.
It clearly is a book worth reading because it does stir the thoughts on Christian spirituality. From my perspective, it seems as if the Jews were really looking for a political/military leader to rise and overthrow the Romans. So it makes sense that since it didn’t happen that way, no wonder the Jews rejected Jesus as the messiah.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ben-Hur.