Brittni's Reviews > Seeds of Yesterday

Seeds of Yesterday by V.C. Andrews

Nov 09, 14

bookshelves: gothic
Read in January, 2007

This book was much better than the third one, yet it still read like the ghostwriter's style to me. It would be that way foreverafter.

I found it pretty predictable on the whole. And the vengeful old man character having been in the background of every book is just plain annoying. The uncle seemed exactly like the old servant from the third book, who was just like Malcolm. A circle of cookie cutter men.

I was pleasantly surprised with Cathy's character in this book. Rather than the stupid decision-maker from second book and the bad mother figure in the third book, Cathy transformed into a wise woman. Applause! I especially like her description of what love is in the book. Cathy, you grew up...shame it took you this long!

Some parts to it also seemed forced. Let's make Jory happy by having his caretaker fall in love with him! No, really! Eh, I just couldn't get a real feel from that. Bart's sorrow at the end did feel real. I really did feel like he finally realized how much Chris meant to him, but when he started preaching it felt forced.

You know who really ticked me off in this book? The daughter. I can't remember her name, oops, but she made all the same dumb mistakes Cathy made at her age. Yet another thing of the sins of the mother falling upon the children...the most frustrating thing about it was that she proclaimed her innocence and everyone believed her, only to find out she was truly a liar and a slut.

The ending hit me like a ton of bricks. I was shocked to the core; this was the only shock I experienced in the book and since everything else was so predictable I did NOT see that coming. What a wonderful ending it was, though.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeds of Yesterday.