Erik Graff's Reviews > The Glass Menagerie

bookshelves: drama
Recommended to Erik by: Einar Graff
Recommended for: William's fans
Read in January, 1957 , read count: 1

I first saw this play on educational television in its 1950 version as a very young person. The set was small, black and white. Presumably my parents were watching it and I had nothing better to do. Later, in high school, I read it.

The viewing of the teleplay was traumatic, burned into memory as quite upsetting. Laura, a grown person, acted like a child but she wasn't playing. That got to me. When it became clear she was really being herself, that she was locked into such behavior, I felt very sorry for her. Her mother, Amanda, was obnoxious, crazy like one of my great aunts--the great aunt whose behavior led to menopause being explained, sort of, to me for the first time. Tom, the brother, seemed normal, but not nice enough. I could see why he wanted to leave, but felt so sorry for Laura that I wished he'd take care of her. Jim, the guest, was less a person, more a figure seen from the outside. Being little, the sexual-romanitic element was beyond me, but I could understand love as having to do with being cared for. Someone nice had to take care of Laura, but no one would or could.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Menagerie.