Liz's Reviews > James and the Giant Peach

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

Sep 10, 11

bookshelves: wee-lads
Read in August, 2011, read count: 2

Dahl is kind of crazy. Luckily, he's also loads of fun. The combination seems to have worked to his advantage. His stories really are timeless classics. Hopefully, kids don't pick up on how "rude" his humor is. James' giant peach literally rolls right over the top of his evil aunts and smothers them both to bits. Yikes!

I really enjoyed reading this at night to Reid. I also remember enjoying it as a 4th grader in Mrs Kapler's class. Yup, I remember books I read almost 20-years-ago. I even remember how I felt about them, and I remember feeling excited every time Mrs Kapler told us to crack open our desks and pull out James and the Giant Peach.

Overall, the characters who journey with James are adorable. I love how consistent they are the entire time they all live together in the peach. That sort of silliness is loved by elementary kids (and adults apparently, since I loved it). I definitely think this is one we'll read again to Reid once he's older and understands it, or I'll at least make it one of his "summer reads." Cause I'm just that kind of mom :).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read James and the Giant Peach.