Ed's Reviews > Midshipman's Hope

Oct 22, 09

bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy, reviewed
Recommended for: Science Fiction Fans
Read in October, 2009, read count: Once

I cannot believe I liked this book so much. It should appeal mostly to adolescents but I was caught up in the story and had a hard time putting it down.

It follows the adventures of 18 year old, Midshipman Nicholas Seafort, who through a series of unlikely events becomes the captain of an interstellar space ship.

First there is an inexplicable accident in which many of his superior officers are accidentally killed, then he becomes involved with a mutiny on a deep space mining outpost, followed by an encounter with an extremely weird alien race that is killing humans. In between there is a lot of interpersonal conflict as Seafort struggles with his new role.

The book is reminiscent of the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin series that takes place during the Napoleonic wars. The United Nations Naval Service (U.N.N.S.) is run pretty much the same way the British Navy was in early 1800s, when communication was slow and undependable and the Captain was the absolute authority. They even have a form of flogging called "The Barrel" and they hang mutineers.

The characters are surprisingly well-drawn and the situations while straining credulity are exciting and believable, taking into account that this is Science Fiction.

The series continues and so will I.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midshipman's Hope.