Kathrynn's Reviews > Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man: What Men Really Think About Love, Relationships, Intimacy, and Commitment

Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man by Steve Harvey

Feb 18, 13

bookshelves: own, 2009, reviewed, 2013, nonfiction-relationships, nonfiction-self-improvement
Recommended for: All Women Plan to Date Men
Read in February, 2013, read count: 2

First read April 6, 2009:
A quick, easy read that wasn't as funny as I thought it was going to be. Mr. Harvey gives straight, common sense advice about men that could be used by teenage girls just beginning the dating cycle to women married/divorced with kids. Several of his examples are with divorced women with kids: when to introduce your kids to the man you are dating; if a man is truly interested in a long-term relationship he will make an effort to include your kids on dates, etc.

As for younger women starting to date, this book could be very insightful. Respect yourself and a good man will respect you. He recommends not having the first sexual encounter for 90 days. Uses the advice of starting a new job and having to wait 90 days for the "benefits" to kick in (health insurance). Men can do it if it's important to them, if it's not they move and women are better off knowing early on. I felt the book was primarily geared toward young women just starting to date...

As for married women, Mr. Harvey gives some advice on keeping your man happy at home. Why they cheat and who they cheat with. He states that men will cheat if they aren't getting "the cookie" at home or if "the cookie" is not like he wants it to be. He mentioned that men will cheat and not consider it cheating, just having sex. I laughed at his joke about how men will deny their butts off when caught cheating--even in mid "pump" with their social security numbers tattooed on their butts. There is a section on forgiving a man who has cheated, too.

He mentions how women should deal with a momma's boy. What questions a women should ask a man she is dating (both early in the relationship and later). He explains what type of answers women should receive if the guy is committed to a long-term relationship or a fling. He uses the analogy of sports fishing: keeping and tossing back. He talks about the first words out of a woman's mouth when a guy begins talking to her. Women set the stage for how the guy will see them and treat them: long term material or a quick toss. He mentions how men will do almost anything to get sex and how not to be used for sex if your goal is a long-term relationship.

Mr. Harvey gives a brief insight into his own life at the beginning of each chapter, then delves into the topics that range from:

The Mind Set of a Man:
- Three things that drive a man:
1. Who they are
2. What they do
3. How much they make

Why Men Do What They Do
- This section was neat to read because it talked about how men behave--if they love you--particularly for married men.

How to Win the Game

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man.

04/05/2009 page 35
15.09% "Cute."
04/06/2009 page 115
49.57% "Sound advice for young women/teenagers..."
04/07/2009 page 232
100.0% "Easy to read. Straightforward, common sense advice for both young (dating) and older (married) women."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz OMG Kathrynn I am so looking forward to your review of this one! I was hoping someone would pick it up here. It sounds hilarious. I read an excerpt somewhere and I couldn't get over it.

Kathrynn I saw this while checking out at Barnes and Noble. It was set up behind the counter of all things! I caught Steve Harvey on Oprah and laughed almost the entire hour, so thought this would be cute!

message 3: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Kathrynn, why behind the counter? They have it out front and center at my local B&N. Is it risque, or something?

Kathrynn I don't know why it was behind the counter of the checkout area. I didn't see it out on the shelves as I was browsing, though.

It's not risque.

They still have "Murder Game" by Feehan in their new releases along with a few others from December and January while the latest Robyn Carr is filed away in the books, but her previous is in the new releases. They really need some folks to work there that actually READ books, I think.

message 5: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Same thing at my store with those 'old' new releases! Aren't you a little tempted to just do it for them?:D I know I am...

Kathrynn I have a couple of times in the past. Now I just shake my head. So frustrating. Before GRs, I carried a list of new releases because couldn't always remember them and searching the entire romance section for new books was just too much. They rarely put them in the new release or new release in romance sections. Poor management.

message 7: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Auntee,

I will fix the out-of-place romance books at the bookstore because it annoys me that they aren't in their place and someone might miss them. I am not sure what that says about me but in my defense I spent part of college working in a library so it used to be my job :) Does anyone else do this?

But I do get the feeling that the people who work in those big bookstores are not readers.

Kathrynn,

Sounds like a funny book, I am not sure how much you can learn from a book about men but I guess it can't hurt to try :) I think a lot of it is common sense and being observant and considerate of your man's feelings and actions.

message 8: by Corrine (new)

Corrine I saw him pitch this book on Ellen and it sounded really good. Thanks for the review, Kathrynn.

message 9: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Melissa, I do that all the time at Half Price Books.:) If I find a romantic suspense shelved in the general romance section, I walk it back over to the correct place. It's not so hard when it's only one book, but I think they'd wonder what I was doing if I tried to take a bunch of books and move 'em around in B&N--they'd probably throw me out!:)

Kathrynn, do you know this guy's credentials? I'm not familiar with him--is he an entertainer?

message 10: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Auntee,
Glad I am not the only one! Yeah, whoever categorizes romance at Half-Price Books screws it up a lot, I always have to check historical romance, general fiction and paranormal romance for books because they could be in either. I usually only fix the glaring mistakes like putting a contemporary in with historicals.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan Sounds like a good "all-over" relationship guide for all of us.

Kathrynn He talks about his credentials in the book. Life at first, but he has a radio show, "The Steve Harvey Show" and a lot of the question and answers came from the multitude of women that called in with relationship "issues" over the years.

He is very close to God and mentions how he was raised up to treat women--that's his experience.

He's a comedian, though. But, this book only had a couple of cute things in it. It was mostly the facts, ma'am, just the facts.

A lot of common sense stuff, but apparently, not so for many. I think this would be excellent for young women just beginning to date!

message 13: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz Good review there Kathrynn. I think I'll wishlist this one from the swap sites :D

MK (Food actvist) Kathrynn: I this book (w/ Steve Harvey) on Oprah. And I thought he was just great. Sounds like a great read.

message 15: by Blackbook (new)

Blackbook I fix out of place books as well. I used to own a bookstore and it drives me crazy when books are in the wrong place. The book store workers do not seem to care or know much about the various genres that they sell. Why would you work in a bookstore unless you are a printed word addict? Surely, not for the money.

message 16: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz BB, I've come across way too many stupid people working in large chain bookstore who don't know a thing about what they're selling sometimes. You'd think reading would be a requirement when they hire some of these people :-/

message 17: by new_user (last edited Apr 08, 2009 10:03PM) (new)

new_user Steve Harvey is hilarious! I love him. I picked up this book at the store expecting it to be just as funny, but after flipping through a few pages, I saw that was not the case. Too bad. The advice might be useful though.