Sarah's Reviews > Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life

Nonviolent Communication by Marshall B. Rosenberg

May 30, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in May, 2009

This book got me thinking about a lot of ways we communicate ("violently") that are so common that they happen on a daily basis and we don't give them a second thought, and yet can be really counterproductive. I think this is a great book for parents, especially, but there is lots here for anyone in a relationship. The author also calls it "compassionate communication", a term I prefer. The book focuses on teaching us to connect with feelings and needs - our own and those of others.

I liked his chapter about anger and also the chapter about being compassionate with one's self. He says that "other people may be the stimulus of our anger, but never the cause." It is still difficult for me not to think of other people and their actions as the cause of my anger, but I think there's a lot of merit to taking the time to look past blaming the other person and focus on what needs are not being met by each side.

Had a few philosophical differences with him - I think he has a more sunny/optimistic view of human nature than I do - and a couple of times I felt his tone was annoying, but overall would highly recommend for a thought-provoking read - it's applicable at home, at work, anywhere you have to interact with other people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nonviolent Communication.