Tamora Pierce's Reviews > Columbine

Columbine by Dave Cullen

Apr 06, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction-crime
Read in April, 2009

This is the first complete coverage of the 1999 Columbine high school shooting that's been published, with information on the journals and videotapes seized by the police, on the survivors and their families, on the political changes in the town, on the school before and after. It debunks the jock revenge and heavy metal theories that the media generated in the information vacuum after the shootings and gives the information that proves there was no conspiracy.

I was disappointed at first by the lack of photos, but I think it does give the book seriousness and keeps it from supermarket sensationalism. A map of the school would have helped, though. It was hard to follow some of the crime scene descriptions without one.

Cullen has done an absolutely masterful job with a painful subject here. The writing makes the book as easy to read as a novel. He did his best to include everyone's point of view and to be as fair as possible and as kind as possible to everyone.

This is one of the best true crime novels I've ever read, and it's one of the best disaster novels I've ever read. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were both criminals and a disaster waiting to happen. Once you read this book, you'll be grateful that the damage they did was limited. It could have been much, much worse. And isn't that a crazy thing to say?
30 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Columbine.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Alexa (new)

Alexa even though I haven't read this book, it's still probably a really good book. I attend Columbine actually. Right now I am sitting in the school's tech lab writing this for Mr. Leyba's honors english class 9!We are COLUMBINE!!

message 2: by Elle (new) - added it

Elle a map of the school should have been included, I agree.

Lindsey I completely agree. I would rank this one right up there with Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood."