Jessica (Books: A true story)'s Reviews > Northanger Abbey

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Dec 17, 14

bookshelves: gilmore-girls, free-ebook, kindle, own, tbr-2009, ebook-challenge-2014, 5-stars, amazon, blog, content-none
Read from August 12 to 26, 2014

This book is also reviewed on my blog Books: A true story

Northerner Abbey might be my favorite Jane Austen novel.  One of the main reasons is because Catherine is my new favorite heroine.  She's a tom boy and she treats her life like it's a fictional novel.  Catherine is the kind of person that would yell "plot twist!" at an unfortunate event in her life.  I aspire to be this way.  It's the kind of attitude I try to have when, say, I go to the ER because I've been awake and in pain and on Google and have convinced myself that I have appendicitis when all I really have is severe constipation and get sent home from the ER with a laxative.  Again.  See, in a novel that's freakin' hilarious.  In real life it sucks paying $200 for a laxative.  Catherine has quite the imagination and I want to be her in every way.

Also, could someone explain to me how Jane Austen can just tell her stories and backgrounds in an info-dumping way but keep my attention completely because she makes it fun and visual and easy to imagine?  Jane Austen has this biting honesty that is delightful to read even though her books are old.  Don't dismiss Jane Austen.  She writes the truth.  Don't tell me you've never met a person like this:
Mrs. Allen was one of that numerous class of females, whose society can raise no other emotion than surprise at there being any men in the world who could like them well enough to marry them.

- Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey (p. 7)

And I love, love, love the two ladies who are constantly talking at each other but never have an actual conversation because one talks about her kids and one talks about clothes.  Jane Austen doesn't really show many of these conversations but I can totally imagine them.  As much as Catherine is living in a fictional novel, her friend Isabella is overdramatic because she's got the lead role in this play called life.  Isabella is clingy and scheming.  I think Jane Austen didn't mind scheming but I think she hated it when it was obvious.  Jane Austen is the queen of sarcasm, irony and relatable characters.

Book shaming has been around since the 1800s and Jane Austen is having none of it.  Catherine loves reading novels but is also ashamed that she reads "only novels."  Jane Austen has this to say about mere novels:
... in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed ...

-Jane Austen,  Northanger Abbey (p. 23).

Overall, I loved this novel and if you haven't read it, fix that immediately.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Northanger Abbey.

08/12/2014 marked as: currently-reading
08/18/2014 page 109
43.0% "This might be my favorite Jane Austen."
08/25/2014 page 155
61.0% "Well she has quite the imagination. :)"
08/26/2014 marked as: read