Brianne 's Reviews > Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace

Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story by D.T. Max

Jan 22, 13

Read in December, 2012

I agree with nearly all the Goodreader comments. Max's prose is strikingly unelegant for someone who's a staff writer for the New Yorker, as many complained. If only Gopnik had tackled this one. I found the book addictive in the sick way that tabloid news can be about your favorite celebrity... which basically this book is. Tabloid news, literati-style.

For the amount of authorial correspondence Max must have gone through, it felt very unintimate. And other readers are right to point out the paucity of information about IJ... and there really aren't that many interviews about it. I think better analyses will come out when someone has spent enough time at the Ransom center rather than limited belles lettres & back and forth hearsay vis-a-vis his relationships with women.

That said, I did enjoy reading the book. The best part, though, was Max's kudos to Professor Tim Jacobs, whose article comparing the brothers Incandenza to the brothers Karamazov is bar none the best and most poetic analysis of DFW I have read. Of course, I had hack into my sister's JSTOR to get it.

There will be better books on the subjects, and more close readings of DFW to come. I look forward to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story.