Chrissy's Reviews > The Smudging and Blessings Book: Inspirational Rituals to Cleanse and Heal

The Smudging and Blessings Book by Jane Alexander

Apr 03, 09

bookshelves: 2009, new-age, cultural-appropriation, utter-crap, shameon-ism
Read in March, 2009

While I do like the basic idea behind this book (i.e., a collection meaningful rituals of blessing and cleansing), I found it off-putting that amongst the quasi-tribal premise and (mis)information, there’s splashings of New Age thinking (chakras, auras, crystals, and more). There’s also a whole section on the Cycle/Wheel of the Year which seemed oddly misplaced to me as this book gave no up-front intentions of being Wiccan-esque or Neo-Pagan.

On the whole, people who already participate in eclectic religions or spiritualities will find this a valuable source of rituals for their life, but to me it is irreparably demeaning to the First Nations and other tribal societies around the world and should be avoided by those who do not wish to enter into the rising cultural appropriation trend seen in the New Age world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Smudging and Blessings Book.