Jennifer's Reviews > It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita

It Sucked and Then I Cried by Heather B. Armstrong

May 29, 09

bookshelves: autobiography, nonfiction
Read in May, 2009

I read Dooce.com, though I only started doing so fairly recently. I wasn't sure if I would want to read this book. I am still not sure I should have. Some of the graphic explanation of the realities of having a child, I'm not really sure I'm ready for. I'm glad in a way that I have time to forget. But I know I likely won't.

The last few pages of this book are what really made it a worthwhile read, to me. I won't write spoilers (if really you can spoil what is painfully evident from the front cover to the back). But I think sometimes it's important to hear about the breakdown- and more importantly, that there can be life after (and a result of) that breakdown. And vilifying treatment, or any of the other things that get wangsted about where motherhood is concerned (formula v. breastmilk... whatever)... really, everything comes down to what can make a family work.

I have a lot to think about from this book. It was educational, but I think not entirely in the ways Armstrong would intend. I am very glad I read it, though I am not sure I enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Sucked and Then I Cried.