Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Deed of Paksenarrion

The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon

I want to say first that I've read hundreds if not thousands of books and the largest percentage of them are probably fantasy. I love this book and rate it as one of my top 3 or 4 favorite novels. I can't recommend it too highly. I really don't think I can recommend it highly enough. Please read this book. I keep multiple copies on my shelf and have loaned out (read given away) many copies. This one is great.

I read the omnibus edition of this book. It’s actually a trilogy. The Deed of Paksenarrion contains Sheepfarmer’s Daughter, Divided Allegiance, and Oath of Gold. I find it a truly exceptional high fantasy read. I rate it five stars as it’s in many ways (in my opinion of course) the best of it’s type. In a time when “attempts” at epic fantasy are a dime a dozen, a good (or great) one should be noticed.

I don’t want to include any spoilers in this (and I know some actually look for them)***(note that I edited in a spoiler tag below. I decided that I had included a spoiler and came back to hide it under a warning. You may want to read the book before you read the part I hid.)*** but, let me mention what the book is actually about. It follows the life and career of a young woman who wants to be a soldier (the author Elizabeth Moon was military) from her beginning training throughout her life (view spoiler) *****I came back and edited in a spoiler tag, I decided something I said here is sort of a spoiler.*****

(view spoiler)

I have read this book (trilogy) many times and love it. It compares well to the “proto-epic fantasy", The Lord of the Rings, and I can and do recommend it (as well as The Lord of the Rings) highly. As I said, I can't recommend it highly enough. Great Book. I own all the books in print and audio versions. Highest possible recommendation.

As noted above, this omnibus edition contains:
Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance, and Oath of Gold.

One of my top favorites, 5 stars+.
43 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Deed of Paksenarrion.

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine ok you've pursuaded me . I'll read it and soon :)

Mike (the Paladin) Well, it's not like I can say that much more LOL. I hope you like it. Obviously, I love the book.

message 3: by K.A. (new) - added it

K.A. Krisko Putting it on my "want" list...

message 4: by Arah-Lynda (new) - added it

Arah-Lynda Okay, okay I will try it!

Mike (the Paladin) :), was it something I said?????

message 6: by Arah-Lynda (new) - added it

Arah-Lynda Mike (the Paladin) wrote: ":), was it something I said?????"

No,no, no I was just caught up in your enthusiasm.

message 8: by Sath (new)

Sath Ahhhh! I didn't know that Elizabeth Moon had a military career, but that certainly explains her unique female characters!

Mike (the Paladin) I liked the books so well (I guess you got that, LOL) that I looked up "other stuff" by her on her web sight. Some are better than others by the way. Anyway I read the bio there and elsewhere on the web.

Mike (the Paladin) I cracked up yesterday. What I went to such pains to hide under a spoiler warning is revealed in the book's synopsis. I guess one person's spoiler is another person's teaser.

message 11: by Sath (new)

Sath The same thing keeps happening to me! I was struggling in my last review, trying to carefully avoid mentioning (what I thought was) the big reveals near the end of the book. Then I looked up and saw it in the book blurb. D'oh.

Seems to be quite popular today, and in movies too, can't count the times lately when I've seen a trailer and thought 'wait, was that the whole movie? Now I know what happens should I bother paying to see it?'. crazy.

Mike (the Paladin) I know. Someone posted a poster for the upcoming Hobbit movie and the poster pretty much lays out 3/4 of the plot. LOL

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth I got this book on my kindle based on your review, and I can't wait to read it! Thanks!

Mike (the Paladin) A friend (the wife of one of my son's "cousin-in-law" (they used to be part of my D&D group). returned a paperback copy of the trilogy to me today at the Christmas get together. I'd loaned it to her like 2 years ago, LOL. She said she kept meaning to return it.

message 15: by honeybee (new) - added it

honeybee adding this to my to read list, i had not heard of it before ( i'm quite new to fantasy books so thats my only excuse! :)

Mike (the Paladin) I'm surprised at the number of people who haven't heard of it...or maybe they "hadn't" heard of it as I've suggested it every chance I've had here, LOL.

I wonder how much money I've mad for Elizabeth Moon by endorsing the book?????

Onuard This review speaks to me... Every year or two, I pick the omnibus up again to reread (I also own two copies and the ebook) and am amazed that it is as good as the last time I read it. There isn't a dull moment or a chapter that drags. That is the biggest issue I have with fantasy nowadays; starting a new story is often painful and must be endured, waiting for the "moment it gets good". The Deed of Paksenarrion doesn't have that.

I've read many of the more popular fantasy series, and none quite call me to reread and re-experience as the Deed of Paksenarrion does.

I love your review, Mike. I'm going to go through your favorites/rec list (if you have one), because I came on goodreads hoping someone would rec me something as good as the Paksenarrion stories. Thanks :)

message 18: by Mike (new)

Mike Chalk up another one, adding this to my to-read list based on your review

Mike (the Paladin) I have a favorites shelf on my profile. I also have a fantasy shelf. Thanks. When I run into readers who don't get this book I'm always a bit flummoxed.

Kate-Lynn I've read this trilogy every year faithful for almost 8 years now. It is absolutely EPIC!!! I don't think Elizabeth Moon gets as much notice or credit for her writing, and she should she's absolutely brilliant!

Mike (the Paladin) I agree. I've read the trilogy so often i can almost quote it. Have you read the Paladin's Legacy series which continues the story?

Kate-Lynn I actually only discovered it recently, I've read the first book in that series. I'm totally excited to see what happens.

Mike (the Paladin) I'll keep my mouth shut. The last one came out this year. While I can't say I like it quite as much as the Paks trilogy, it's still great.

Kate-Lynn No I agree with that. The Paks trilogy will always be king (or Paladin) of the hill.