David Sven's Reviews > The Unraveling

The Unraveling by Hugh Howey

Jan 25, 13

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read from January 22 to 25, 2013

This book deals a lot with the consequences of the revelations in book three. What happens to Juliette? What will Supply and Mechanical do next? How is Bernard going to try and cover things up this time?

Howey also uses a Romeo and Juliet analogy with quotes from the play at the beginning of the chapters. Our two lovers who never were are obviously Lukas and Juliette - two people from the opposing factions of IT and Mechanical - One appears to die at the end of the last book etc etc.

And we continue with our knitting analogy which this time seems pretty self explanatory for us non knitting people. Things are starting to come apart. But “unravelling” in knitting has a purpose. Sometimes, if you discover a flaw or mistake in an earlier stitch, you have to “unravel” or pull the stitches since apart to “fix” the problem. So this time round Bernard and IT need to “fix” the problem created by Jules in book one. The last thing they want is for the whole Silo to unravel around them. But maybe it is IT that’s the bad stitch. Maybe there needs to be an “unravelling” to “fix” IT and the Silo.

I have to say I was not as enamored with this book as with the previous three. I still enjoyed it, but it feels like we got the punch line already and now we are just dealing with how it all works out. I hope I’m wrong. I hope Howey has left something up his sleeve. But I’m more interested in the mystery and being taken by surprise as I totally was in book one and book three. Once the veil has come off, I’m like "Move along, nothing more to see here."

So with a fair chunk of the Omnibus left (38% according to the kindle) I really hope Howey has another sucker punch left in him.

This sounds like I hate it – but I don’t. I still really enjoyed the book. The story is still pretty good. Looking forward to the final book of the Omnibus.

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unraveling.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Igor Another 5 stars incoming :D

message 2: by Guillermo (new)

Guillermo Azuarte Kindof disagree. Dont need more sucker punches. Maybe some flicks on the ear. I think the 5th book has to sort of wrap it up, since from what I hear, book 6 and 7 are prequels. We'll see. Hoping to be done w The Stranded tomorrow.

David Sven I know what you mean. And I am still enjoying the story. But its the mystery rather than the action that appeals to me more in these books. It's a bit like how I prefer my horror. I don't want to know what the monster or mystery is too early - once the monster is unveiled it stops being scary or interesting.
But we'll see how this finishes up.

message 4: by Guillermo (new)

Guillermo Azuarte Thats a good way to put it, when you compare it to the horror genre - once the monster is out of the box, its not as fun. Lets see how it goes.

Igor As always, nice objective review. Got to agree with both of you but still there is more to the story in book five. Also there is nice background in book six as you will notice.