Terra's Reviews > Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception

Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

Apr 11, 09

Read in April, 2009

Lament by Maggie Stiefvater is a mystical magical tale of the world of Faerie that is sure to delight even the most unbelieving reader. This is a tale woven so beautifully that it flows like water through your fingers. A tale that is sure to entertain all ages and a great summer read for your teen/young adult.

Deirdre Monaghan is a normal teenage girl but with musical talent that is well beyond her years. A musical gift that comes so naturally that it could even make the angels weep. Only problem is, is poor Dee has stage fright to the point of getting physically ill.

Luke Dillon is anything but what he seems. Befriending Dee and setting off her abilities to call the Fae is his beginning with her. They immediately fall in love but will the dangerous obstacles that pop up keep them from each other?

Our story starts quickly and leads to our heroine singing a Lament while playing her harp accompanied by a brand new acquaintance who plays the flute just as beautifully. Together the duo set in motion something that will change their futures forever.

Deirdre hears herself singing but can't quite believe the voice that sounds like an angel's let alone how it could possibly be coming from her. Her strumming the harp is like caressing the finest silk, soft, smooth and yet powerful. This is the best performance of her life and she hopes that it will win her the school competition. With Luke's flute beside her how could she possibly lose and who is this stranger that has popped into her life so suddenly.

As our story goes on many strange things start to happen to our characters. Most of what happens seems to involve Dee and things that she always thought were children's tales are now becoming realities both frightening and beautiful. The female line of her family being blessed with a gift, or is it really a curse take her down a path that will determine the outcome of the human race. Her only hint of dangers present is the smell of herbs and the finding of four leaf clover that appear out of seemingly thin air. Question is, will Luke be able to save her from a cruel fate? Will he be able to save himself for falling hopelessly in love with what is forbidden?

Our author has given us a tale of enchantingly beautiful music combined with jealousy. A story that has been woven as tightly and intricately as a spider's web. A story of danger and love that are balanced equally and of trust and deception so fragile that a feather angled just the right way could slice through unhindered. A story where the heroine saves the hero with an unusually powerful ending. One I won't soon forget.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lament.