Brandi Rae's Reviews > Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

Apr 24, 09

bookshelves: adult-non-fiction, biography-memoir, food
Read in April, 2009

In light of my new mindset on cooking and blogging I decided that the time had finally come to read Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell (the subtitle of which, given the upcoming movie release, has been unnecessarily changed to My Year of Cooking Dangerously). Julie is a woman who, in response to her unfulfilling job as a secretary and a rapidly approaching 30th birthday, decided that she is going to spend the year cooking every recipe in Julia Child’s epic book Mastering the Art of French Cooking, blogging about the experience as she goes along. Her husband gamely (but warily) accepts that this is just something that she has to do, and the Julie/Julia project is born.

The book covers her (mis)adventures and triumphs as she cooks her way from vegetables dishes to parts of the animals that even made me a twinge squeamish (a girl who, among other things, has voluntarily eaten worms and bugs before). I found myself laughing out loud and really relating to Julie, not only in our mutual and semi-fanatical love of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but also in her descriptions of the different ways she and her friend deal with stress (drinking and cooking vs. running and cleaning).

Overall, this was just a really fun read. It was nice to hear about someone who was able to start a project like her's and have it unintentionally turn into such an opportunity. I think it gives hope that satisfaction in life can sometimes come from the most unlikely endeavors.

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie and Julia.

02/14 marked as: read

message 1: by Robin (last edited Apr 14, 2009 10:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Robin I listened to this as an audio book during my commute to work and the one thing that stood out to me was the author's potty mouth! Most people use profanity from time to time but it really sounds awful to hear the f-word consistently but I guess they didn't edit it out because it's how the author talks. Other than that I thought it was an interesting book and I'll be interested to see what the film is like.