dara's Reviews > Norwegian Wood

Oct 18, 2009

bookshelves: suicide, read-in-2009
Read in October, 2009

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Norwegian Wood.

Quotes dara Liked

Haruki Murakami
“Something inside me had dropped away, and nothing came in to fill the cavern.”

Haruki Murakami
“I want you always to remember me. Will you remember that I existed, and that I stood next to you here like this?”

Haruki Murakami
“Naoko took her left hand from her pocket and squeezed my hand. 'Don't you worry,' she said. 'You'll be O.K. You could go running all around here in the middle of the night and you'd never fall into the well. And as long as I stick with you, I won't fall in, either.'

Never?'

Never!'

How can you be so sure?'

I just know,' she said, increasing her grip on my hand and continuing on for a ways in silence. 'I know these things. I'm always right. It's got nothing to do with logic: I just feel it. For example, when I'm really close to you like this, I'm not the least bit scared. Nothing dark or evil could ever tempt me.'

Well, that answers that,' I said. 'All you have to do is stay with me like this all the time.”

Haruki Murakami
“Memory is a funny thing. When I was in the scene, I hardly paid it any mind. I never stopped to think of it as something that would make a lasting impression, certainly never imagined that eighteen years later I would recall it in such detail. I didn't give a damn about the scenery that day. I was thinking about myself. I was thinking about the beautiful girl walking next to me. I was thinking about the two of us together, and then about myself again. It was the age, that time of life when every sight, every feeling, every thought came back, like a boomerang, to me. And worse, I was in love. Love with complications. The scenery was the last thing on my mind.”

Haruki Murakami
“Hatsumi had a pretty good idea that Nagasawa was sleeping around, but she never complained to him. She was seriously in love with him, but she never made demands.

'I don't deserve a girl like Hatsumi,' Nagasawa once said to me. I had to agree with him.”

Haruki Murakami
“Those were strange days, now that I look back at them. In the midst of life, everything revolved around death.”

Haruki Murakami
“I do need that time, though, for Naoko's face to appear. And as the years have passed, the time has grown longer. The sad truth is that what I could recall in five seconds all too needed ten, then thirty, then a full minute-like shadows lengthening at dusk. Someday, I suppose, the shadows will be swallowed up in darkness. There is no way around it: my memory is growing ever more distant from the spot where Naoko used to stand-ever more distant from the spot where my old self used to stand. And nothing but scenery, that view of the meadow in October, returns again and again to me like a symbolic scene in a movie. Each time is appears, it delivers a kick to some part of my mind. "Wake up," it says. "I'm still here. Wake up and think about it. Think about why I'm still here." The kicking never hurts me. There's no pain at all. Just a hollow sound that echoes with each kick. And even that is bound to fade one day. At the Hamburg airport, though, the kicks were longer and harder than usual. Which is why I am writing this book. To think. To understand. It just happens to be the way I'm made. I have to write things down to feel I fully comprehend them.”

10/17/2009 page 305

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

Matt Full of win.

message 2: by dara (new) - added it

dara Murakami apparently has cited Salinger as an influence. Just ran across this in my research. Immediate thought was to share info with you.

Matt Ya. He always translating Salinger and Fitzgerald fr the rest of his suspicious nation. He the boss.