Stacy's Reviews > The Kicker of St. John's Wood

The Kicker of St. John's Wood by Gary Wolf

Apr 16, 09

Read in April, 2009

As far as books set in the future go, I liked that the alterations and predictions were believable - essentially many of today's trends were taken to the extreme, overcompensating for the issues they are currently addressing. The small changes (like a Hawaiian football team, female president and racism as a crime) seemed feasible for a book set only 10 years in the future and did pose some interesting questions about "equality"

The story itself was interesting in that it maintained a sense of mystery about what was really going on, but I didn't feel particularly connected to the characters. The narrative was the main character telling a story about his past. Overall the book was enjoyable but it seemed like there were too many storylines and many weren't really resolved in the end. Its much more about the issues, a commentary on where we are headed, than it is about the characters and the story itself.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kicker of St. John's Wood.