Sarah's Reviews > The Savage & Beautiful Country

The Savage & Beautiful Country by Alan McGlashan

Aug 26, 07

Read in August, 2007

Picked this up off the street the other day, what a lucky surprise. There is the outer world, we know 'bout that. Then there's the inner world. Dream, fantasy, paranoia, point of view, general malaise caused by fatty food, deep, passionate love that makes us do crazy things! The Tibetans said the Western world has been focusing on the outer world for thousands of years, while during that same time they've been focusing on the inner. Who's better off?
There's something so exciting and secret and full of possibility about considering the things in this book. He talks a lot about duality, the Janus face and seems to find hope in "fraught times" by wondering if the clamor we experience, the feeling that something is "about to burst" in the outer world may actually be reflecting a phenomena occurring in our own psyches. A psychic evolution, a transcendence. He writes, "Out of the royal union of thinking and feeling will be born the inner force that alone can pull man back to safety from the high and narrow window ledge on which he now stands, screaming silently."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Savage & Beautiful Country.