Jeremy Preacher's Reviews > The Magician King

The Magician King by Lev Grossman

1973239
Jan 21, 13

bookshelves: fantasy

I did not like The Magicians and I did not expect to like this one, and I was mostly not wrong. I found it less tedious, for sure - the adventures moved along briskly and were varied enough that Quentin's unquenchable twittishness never grew totally unbearable, but he's still an unbearable twit and I don't like him. The complicated interwoven plot resolved, in the end, to... nothing. Nullity. I didn't care about any of it at all, and I'm just glad it's over.

Julia's whole plotline was just as infuriating and disgusting as I would have guessed from reading the first book (in which every woman is a sex object.) Her entire quest for power is built around her ability to get men to give her stuff by offering them sex, which sullies her in some ineffable way until she is literally stripped of her soul in a supernatural rape scene that had me groaning at how obvious it was in hindsight. Someone could have written this plotline in a way that didn't make me feel vaguely ashamed of the genre, but where I was willing to ascribe the pervasive callous misogyny to the characters and not the author in the first book, now I'm frankly skeptical that it's not a fundamental problem with the author's worldview.

I don't like any of these people or the stories around them, and would not at all recommend these books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician King.