All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > A Study in Silks

A Study in Silks by Emma Jane Holloway

Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

What drew me to A STUDY IN SILKS was the fact that it was a sort of spin off of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes series with Holmes’ niece taking center stage as the detective. I adore mysteries just about as much as urban fantasy and a good murder mystery mixed with some magical mayhem is my cup of tea. The world building in A STUDY IN SILKS was pretty deep and complex involving steam barons at war with new non steam technology and anything magical. In fact there could have been a whole story based on just the budding revolution against the steam barons who rule over the economy with an iron fist. I loved this idea but it came off as too wordy at times with a disorienting amount of detail. The steam baron backdrop and revolution plot shared space with the murder mystery and while I understand the overall reason for the multiple plots running parallel with each other it became near impossible to keep up with everything.

Also lessening my enjoyment of a good murder amid political chaos story was the ever increasing and constantly shifting POVs. At times these POVs were simply rehashing the same scene from a different character perspective which felt very redundant. There were also little story threads that related somewhat to the main thread that just added to the frustrating amount of information we are given. Typically with mysteries I enjoy having everyone as a suspect and trying to figure out whodunnit along with the main character(s). This is a simple issue of personal preference but it lessened my excitement over the whole mystery plot when everyone I suspect is absolved by their POV section.

At the center of all this baffling world building and character POVs is Evelina Cooper who is a feisty and brilliant character with magical abilities she uses to solve the murder at the center of the story. I liked how she used her magic and how she is able to combine it with her automatons to help solve the murder. Unfortunately we don’t get enough time with her to get a firm grasp on her magic abilities or her sleuthing capabilities. Being Sherlock Holmes’ niece I wanted to have her do more investigating then she did since what we do get of her sleuthing is a nice homage to the deductive reasoning of Sherlock Holmes.

My favorite parts of A STUDY IN SILKS were Evelina’s interactions with her uncle Sherlock as he helps her with clues in his logical and super observant ways. There are also plenty of Sherlock Holmes references and even cameo’s from various Conan Doyle characters that had me going “I remember that guy!” from Conan Doyle’s work.

A STUDY IN SILKS pays homage to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes series with doses of technology, magic, murder and nefarious deeds. Overwhelming feelings of confusion aside I liked the ideas and mysteries presented in A STUDY IN SILKS and look forward to seeing what happens next in the second book of The Baskerville Affair; A STUDY IN DARKNESS out October 29, 2013 by Del Rey.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Study in Silks.

10/03/2013 marked as: read