Corrie's Reviews > Where'd You Go, Bernadette

F 50x66
Jan 21, 2013

did not like it
Read in January, 2013

I really did not like this book.

First of all, the plot is just stupid. And it's stupid in so many different ways that I won't even bother going into any of them.

However, what really pissed me off about this book is how Seattle, Washington, Canada, the people who live their and their cultures are portrayed. One of the main characters, Bernadette, spends most of the book criticizing them to no end. Granted, one of the minor characters once states how great the northwest is and in the very end Bernadette suddenly decides that she likes the area, but by then it was way too little, too late. Overall, the author completely trashes the northwest. I was born and raised in the Seattle area and most of the regional stereotypes that the author mentions are things I have never heard of, never seen, never done, etc. Made me wonder if she'd ever been there. Needless to say, I was completely shocked to read that she lives there.

So, for anyone who loves the Northwest, I'd stay clear of this book unless you just want to be pissed off. For anyone else, I'd stay clear unless you truly just want to waste your time.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where'd You Go, Bernadette.

Laura I was also annoyed by the careless criticizing of Seattle. Sure, it has its problems, but has Semple lived anywhere else in the states? Because I have, and the PNW does a lot of things right compared to most other regions in this country. Semple seems very, very naive and simple-minded (no pun intended) in her view of things.