Megan's Reviews > Masterpiece

Masterpiece by Elise Broach

Apr 03, 09

bookshelves: childrens-lit, fiction
Read in April, 2009

A very cute story. I wasn't sure I'd like a book about a boy and a beetle, but I did. I admired the friendship that develops between them. I also enjoyed learning about the artist Albrecht Durer and art heists. I had no idea there was such a thing as art stealing criminals!

I also appreciated the humor in this novel, such as the following:
"It must be Denny's mail, Marvin thought. He knew a little about the human system of mail, because Papa had explained it to him several weeks ago, when, tragically, Cousin Buford had been scooped up with Mrs. Pompaday's real-estate contracts, sealed inside a flashy orange and purple Federal Express envelope, and mailed to one of her clients. When Marvin asked where he'd been sent to, Papa said that the address was written on the front of the envelope, though the beetles had no way of deciphering it. (Comfortingly, Papa did explain that, wherever Buford was headed, he was sure to arrive by 10:30 the next morning.) The family could only pray he'd survived the journey and made a new life for himself somewhere in the city. Privately, Marvin had his doubts about Buford's ability to make a sandwich, much less a new life for himself. But there was no point in dwelling on what couldn't be helped" (p.212).

The parent side of me hopes that my children will never try to do anything like James or Marvin do in this story!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masterpiece.

04/02/2009 page 82

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shaunandcyndy (last edited Apr 03, 2009 04:12PM) (new)

Shaunandcyndy I liked this book also. I too wondered if I could become emotionally involved with a book that had a beetle as a protagonist, but, it won me over. I liked how the story explored the meaning of friendship, and family.

Mom