Katie's Reviews > The Princes of Ireland

The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd

Apr 21, 09

liked it
Read in April, 2009

This book was ok. It tells the stories of several Irish families over the course of many generations. The book takes place in the same location of Dublin, tracing the stories through the birth of Celtic Christianity, Viking invasions, English conquering, etc. I loved the historical details--and I especially loved all the references to the area of Dublin, which I've visited. But the book did not have enough development of characters to really hold my attention. His stories of each generation were good, but usually left me wanting more. It seemed like the author was constantly battling between telling the stories of the families and writing the history of the time period. Many times I felt like saying, "Make up your mind! Either tell the story or write the history book!"

But I also enjoyed the beginning of the book more than the end potions. The tale of Deidre and the druid/prince was very well written and engrossing--but by the time the action got to the 1500s, I was bored. I may or may not read the sequel (I hear that it is better), but I was a bit disappointed with this choice.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princes of Ireland.