Erin's Reviews > The Sum of Our Days LP: A Memoir

The Sum of Our Days LP by Isabel Allende

Apr 06, 09

Read in April, 2009

While I was reading the first 30 pages or so I kept thinking that I would LOVE this book. I did not love this book. I felt really tainted or something while reading it; or maybe like I was being force fed. I think I felt that way because it was far too new age for me. Typically, I'm someone who can appreciate new age "wisdom," but I could not in this book and I think it's because of the harsh light she put it in. Plus, she's a meddling new ager; which really rubs me the wrong way. I think more than anything her meddling in everyone's life was the thing that I could not get over in this book; despite the extreme drama going on throughout. I was impressed that she was so honest about her meddling and being a nightmare mother-in-law.

Also, the "magic"...I've really never been a fantasy reader or into magic, hence why I don't think I would ever enjoy the Harry Potter books. Maybe, I'm just really lacking in imagination, but I think reality and heartfelt emotions are far more beautiful than anything magic can offer.

That said, there were little words of wisdom throughout that I appreciated and I thought it was very awesome that throughout all the drama their little "tribe" was able to work through it and stick together. Also, I enjoyed the writing style a lot!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sum of Our Days LP.

04/02/2009 page 20