Jeanne Moran's Reviews > Writing Irresistible KidLit:The Ultimate Guide to Crafting Fiction for Young Adult and Middle Grade Readers

Writing Irresistible KidLit by Mary Kole

6207459
Jan 25, 13

Read from January 21 to 24, 2013

This renowned KidLit agent has documented her years of experience in this accessible book. The tone is conversational and encouraging, and she shares dozens of splendid examples from middle-grade and young adult fiction as she discusses the publishing market, the readers' mindset, the craft of plot and character, and more. As an agent, she knows what sells and what doesn't. Those of us who write would do well to heed her advice.
Many of the books on writing in my library are written by authors, and are replete with 'how I did it' and 'how you can do it too' activities. This one is different, specifically because the author is a literary agent. It gives a unique slant on the subject which opened my eyes to many shortcomings in my WIP.
In my opinion, the only limitation of this book is its emphasis on commercial success, as if that were the ultimate gauge of the story's worth. That said, it's a great addition to the library of those who write for kids and teens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing Irresistible KidLit.