J.C.'s Reviews > Ghost Soldiers: The Epic Account of World War II's Greatest Rescue Mission

Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides

Apr 13, 2009

bookshelves: non-fiction, best-non-fiction
Read in April, 2009

a great book but one that had a few small problems. the book is told mainly in vignettes and focuses only on a few of the hundreds of men involved. The main problem with the book is that there is a narrative structure to the story but the author takes a variety of (important yet distracting) tangents thorough out the book that although difficult to read, leave you ultimately wanting more.

I enjoyed the way the book goes back and forth through time, focusing on the Army Prisoners three years in camp and the Rangers two day mission to liberate the prison camp culminating in the "Great Raid" and the liberation of the camp. at some points I was visibly cringing at some of the atrocities committed, and could feel tears well up when some small moments of humanity presented themselves across the page.

I enjoyed learning about the greatest liberation of P.O.W.'s in modern war. I especially enjoyed meeting the prisoners and rescuers of the U.S. Army and Filipino rebels. I think that the author did a fine job telling a small but important moment in the war. I think that his intention was to keep it simple, and to that end he achieved everything he set out to do. as a aficionado of WW2 history this was one I really enjoyed experiencing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Soldiers.

04/02/2009 page 0
0.0% "Will start when the Jack Reacher adventure is over, which will be sometime around 7 tonight."
show 4 hidden updates…